The four UK Higher Education Funding Bodies are delighted to announce the appointment of the chairs of the four main panels for the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021.
The main panels will provide leadership and guidance to the sub-panels that undertake the REF assessment. As chairs designate, the appointees will at first advise the funding bodies on the initial decisions and on the further development of the framework. They will take up their roles as chairs later in the year, once the outcomes of the ‘Consultation on the second Research Excellence Framework’ (HEFCE 2016/36) are announced and further appointments to the REF panels have been made.
The Main Panel Chairs (designate) for each of the four main panel areas are:
- Main Panel A: Medicine, health and life sciences – Professor John Iredale, Pro Vice-Chancellor Health, University of Bristol
- Main Panel B: Physical sciences, engineering and mathematics – Professor David Price, Vice-Provost (Research), University College London
- Main Panel C: Social sciences – Professor Jane Millar OBE, Professor of Social Policy and former Pro Vice-Chancellor for Research, University of Bath.
- Main Panel D: Arts and humanities – Professor Dinah Birch CBE, Pro Vice-Chancellor for Research and Impact, University of Liverpool.
Dr Kim Hackett, REF manager, said:
‘I am delighted to welcome the REF Main Panel Chairs to the exercise. These four individuals bring significant research expertise and experience of research assessment to these roles, and will provide strong leadership and guidance in all aspects of the REF. I look forward to working with them to ensure we deliver a successful and robust REF2021.’
- The chairs were appointed via an open recruitment process. Details of this process can be found in the advert for the role.
- Download the REF 2021 Main Panel Chair Biographies as PDF (297 KB).