1. This document sets out the assessment criteria and working methods of the main and sub-panels for the 2021 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
2. This document, taken together with the ‘Guidance on submissions’ (REF 2019/01) provides give a comprehensive description of the information required in submissions to the REF, and how the REF panels will assess submissions.
3. The REF is a process of expert review. Expert sub-panels for each of the 34 units of assessment (UOA) will carry out the assessment, working under the leadership and guidance of four main panels.5. The deadline for submissions is 27 November 2020. Submissions will be assessed by the REF panels during the course of 2021. Results will be published in December 2021, and will be used by the HE funding bodies to inform research funding from the academic year 2022–23.
4. This document is for information and to guide institutions in preparing and collecting data for inclusion in REF submissions. No action is required by HEIs at this stage.
5. Enquiries from members of staff at UK HEIs should be directed in the first instance to their institutional REF contact.
6. Other enquiries should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.